Sunday, August 5, 2012

Lessons learned...

There is always a lesson to be learned.  We just need to have our eyes and our hearts open to it, and reflect on it.  That is what I have spent some time doing, reflecting on this past week, dubbed Hell Week @ PR, and I've learned this: I'm am truly NOT the same person I was one year ago; and for that I am grateful!!
You see I took my first "freebie" class at PR during 2011 Hell Week, and in that class we did a 3ish mile "rifle run" w/ a 10# weight plate, and when we were not running we did situps, pushups, bear crawls, crab walks, relay sprints, and some Indian runs.  I remember that workout and the pain I felt just like it was yesterday, but it wasn't it was a year ago!!  In that year I've truly changed, I remember constantly thinking how weak I was and angry at myself that I couldn't keep up with these athletes! I hated walking and slowing everyone up, I recall leaving that class just physically and mentally beat down.  I was weak, overweight, and truly miserable.  So instead of wallowing in my self-pity, which is what I normally did, I put on my big girl panties, and did something about it.  I called up the Coach and setup my foundations courses.  Big Daddy Z was pretty hesitant at first, he is the realist you know, pretty certain he thought this was just another one of my brilliant ideas that I wouldn't follow through on.  But he joined up with me, through some prodding.....
Fast forward one year to Hell Week 2012.  In retrospect, I truly enjoyed this week as a whole, maybe not in the moment, but always afterwards.  There was not once that I thought, "I am too weak" or "I can't do this".  I didn't completely doubt my ability to complete any of the workouts to the best that I have.  I knew that when I would start to get down, my family would be there to help me through it, and they were.  I also found how much I loved being there for them as well.  At home I really focused on my nutrition, trying to properly fuel my body and give it the rest it needs.  It paid off, I was able to hang with the guys sometimes, and be there to contribute to my team. While I still need to work on that voice inside my head, she isn't nearly as loud as she used to be, that or I've gotten better at proving her wrong!!
What a difference a year has made, excited to see what the next year will bring as I continue growing and learning!

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.
2 Timothy 4:7

Sharing some of the week in pictures from PR Facebook page....

 Wednesday's 1 mile tabata run with my team and Big Daddy Z's....

3/4 of my team after completing our Fran "cool down" Wednesday

Thursday:  Do you see that voice, she is trying to talk to me...

 Thursday: But see I didn't let her beat me during those 25 minutes of Burpee Broadjumps

 Posing for a pic with the "family" during our only rest period :)

Thursday: Aftermath..most mentally difficult day

 Friday: Carrying and dragging our wounded

Fri: Everyone cheering on Roxy as she finishes our last reps of leave no man behind.

Enjoying some well-deserved watermelon!

Until next time....




No comments:

Post a Comment